First few days should understand business otherwise cannot create effective reports.
9:00 -10am Meet customer to understands key facts which affect business.
10-12 prepare HLD High level Document containing 10,000 feet view of requirement.
version 1. it may refined later subsequent days.
12-1:30 attend scrum meeting to update status to rest of team. co-ordinate with Team Lead, Architect and project Manager for new activity assignment for new reports.
Usually person handling one domain area of business would be given that domain specific reports as during last report development resource already acquired domain knowledge.
And does not need to learn new domain..otherwise if becoming monotonous and want to move to new area. (like sales domain report for Chip manufactuers may contain demand planning etc…)
1:30-2:00 document the new reports to be worked on today.
2:30-3:30 Look at LLD and HLD of new reports. find sources if they exist otherwise Semantic layer needs to modified.
3:30-4:00 co-ordinate with other resource reports requirement with Architect to modify semantic layer, and other reporting requirements.
4:00-5:00 Develop\code reports, conditional formatting,set scheduling option, verify data set.
5:00-5:30 Look at old defects rectify issues.(if there is separate team for defect handling then devote time on report development).
5:30-6:00 attend defect management call and present defect resolved pending issue with Testing team.
6:00-6:30 document the work done. And status of work assigned.
6:30-7:30 Look at report pending issues. Code or research work around.
7:30-8:00 report optimisation/research.
8:00=8:30 Dinner return back home.
Ofcourse has to look at bigger picture hence need to see what reports other worked on.
Then Also needed to understand ETL design , design rules/transformations used for the project. try to develop frameworks and generic report/code which can be reused.
Look at integration of these reports to ERP (SAP,peopesoft,oracle apps etc ), CMS (joomla, sharepoint), scheduling options, Cloud enablement, Ajax-fying reports web interfaces using third party library or report SDK, integration to web portals, portal creation for reports.
So these task do take time as and when they arrive.
Paradigm shift in Computing Industry over period of time:
Mainframe–> Personal Computer, (PC based Application software ) –> Web Computing (Web servers, Internet, web application) –> devices (Mobile/ Mobility )/IP TV , notebook /ipad —>
For next shift there lot of possibility Like surface computing might eliminate Screen requirement or Ipad/laptop requirement, IP TV interacting with human interactions with gesture to camera , and devices projecting screen on any surface. Many devices which are coming in the industry would certainly require Ubiquitous Access. And All devices will have agent to take informed decisions (Like once fridge know milk is empty it could connect to internet and ask your access to credit card or confirmation (workflow software configured) it can order retailer.(So like Internet of Things)
So Internet of things is not only these devices that will interact with other home system, devices but also get data with wired or wireless sensors inside Home.
more about it can be read at : https://sandyclassic.wordpress.com/2013/05/03/classifying-ubiquitious-data-images-into-emotion-for-target-advertisement-campaign/
New age application development :
CMS are integrated with SIP servers for PSTN phone to Digital phone and Softphone conversion. More details:
All these will increase focus on the development Internet of Things with sensor network generating huge video,audio, image and text data collected from sensor has to move ubiquitous from one system to another. For this to happen internet infrastructure will be utilized using cluster computing of Hadoop, Hive, HBase. for data analysis and storage. When sensor nodes , devices , Home appliances access and interact with this data ubiquitously at same time interact , under transaction using internet infrastructure Possibility of Internet of things is only conclusion it can derive.
Read more on hadoop: https://sandyclassic.wordpress.com/2011/10/19/hadoop-its-relation-to-new-architecture-enterprise-datawarehouse/
Relation to cloud here 3V have actually now became 5V variability and value new 2V +addition to existing 3V Volume, variety and velocity being old 3V. Read more: https://sandyclassic.wordpress.com/2013/07/02/data-warehousing-business-intelligence-and-cloud-computing/
External links for reference: http://www.sap.com/index.epx
SAP XI: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/9b/821140d72dc442e10000000a1550b0/content.htm
Map reduce: http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/mapred_tutorial.html
facebook API: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/apis/
Linkedin API: http://developer.linkedin.com/apis
Twitter API: https://dev.twitter.com/
Here are reasons Why next generation app will be totally different:
1. – In few years we will be seeing ending dominance of physical routers, switches , firewall to virtual soft switches, virtual routers , software defined routers and switches. More open routing technology would be program driven rather than configuration on boxes.
Companies like application firewall maker Palo Alto Networks and virtual programmable router maker nicira have huge role to play.
its also affected by trends in Network technology
2. – in next year we will see 20+ processors on single machine making parallel processing one of important requirement. Huge software would be re written to meet this requirement.
3. The changes in business and systems are occurring very fast as system and getting more understood and cross functional due to intense competition Where only innovation can make you stay ahead of curve: Read more reasons why?
4. Cloud will increase innovation to change way we think about software:
Software As service SAAS, PAAS, IAAS going to make more deeper innovation as defined in above article (https://sandyclassic.wordpress.com/2013/07/02/data-warehousing-business-intelligence-and-cloud-computing/).
How innovation on cloud will be much quicker read :
5. Laptop will never go (large screen requirement) but Mobile will be mass platform:
As we can move we can see virtually wearable shirts made of graphene with storage and data streamed on walls .. as when we want we can just grab wall data to graphene shirts..
Read more about Graphene: https://sandyclassic.wordpress.com/2013/01/18/graphene-the-wonder-material-foldable-cell-phones-wearable-computerbionic-devices-soon-reality/
surfaces will keep emerging we would see virtually display in air without any device but what it would be added with augmented reality and virtual reality.
we can in future just stream data to wall and program on wall outside our house.
6. Internet of things : where Machine to machine transfer of information and data and semantic web will make possible more intelligent feedback to user by all devices based on user need. so when you pick up milk from shelf next time. your fridge will search for you and alert you on latest offer of cheapest milk from various retailer.
And it will be displayed on fridge itself.. not only that it would order for you when its empty if you configure so. it will calculate you calorie consumed by family of fridge item and send updates to doctor monitoring you and display return messages from doctors.
7. Sensors will be everywhere and huge and Ubiquity will rule :
Activity based accounting has changed the accounting system where even cost centre inputs to bottom line is also appreciated , calculated and accounted and apportionment is run not only to profit centre but also to cost centre.
This led to renewed influence of new cost centre based new module reporting like Human resource Accounting/Analytic ( Profit centre based system were preferred early and coast centre were neglected )which not only introduced new module in the Enterprise Resource planning ERP also changed the interlinking between modules such as Human resource management system , human resource accounting influence to General ledger and to profit and loss account.
– as each activity is apportioned into management accounting there are changes which are happening in the Analytics as more deeper ,cross functional analytic measure are used last 5 yrs leading to huge changes in business thinking for top line and bottom line growth.
– as BI becomes pervasive and ubiquitous it leads to deeper granular analysis to system thinking by lower level staff leading to bottom up innovation.
– cloud and mobility has introduced pay per use model which influenced more pervasive BI and ERP usage by all staff giving fillip to bottom up thinking. Capital expenditure changed to operating expenditure leading to more acceptability to mid size companies as well large scale companies.
– real time updates using sensor based tracking of supply chain items , stock keeping unit SKU in Retail and in-memory system (SAP HANA, Oracle Exadata, IBM Cognos TM1) making update faster and possibility of including more compressed data into primary memory for analysis.
Gamification/AJAXifying of ERP:
Adobe forms and increasing replaced SAP forms and even Oracle apps forms in AJAXified ERP systems. Augmented reality on AJAX making possible Gamification of ERP.