BI Architect most important responsibility is maintaining semantic Layer between Datawarehouse and BI Reports.
There are basically Two Roles of Architect: BI Architect or ETL Architect in data warehousing and BI. (ETL Architect in Future posts).
Semantic Layer Creation
Once data-warehouse is built and BI reports Needs to created. Then requirement gathering phase HLD High level design and LLD Low Level design are made.
Using HLD and LLD BI semantic layer is built in SAP BO its called Universe, in IBM Cognos using framework manager create Framework old version called catalogue, In Micro strategy its called project.
Once this semantic layer is built according to report data SQL requirements.
Note: Using semantic layer saves lot of time in adjustment of changed Business Logic in future change requests.
Real issues Example: Problems in semantic Layer creation like in SAP BO: Read
Reports are created using objects created by semantic layer.Complex reporting requirement for
1. UI require decision on flavour of reporting Tool like within
There are sets of reporting tool to choose from Like in IBM Cognos choose from Query Studio, Report Studio, Event Studio, Analysis Studio, Metric Studio.
3. Report level macros/API for better UI.
4. Most important is data requirement my require Coding procedure at database or consolidations of various databases. Join Excel data with RDBMS and unstructured data using report level features. Data features may be more complex than UI.
5. user/data level security,LDAP integration.
6. Complex Scheduling of reports or bursting of reports may require modification using rarely Shell script or mostly Scheduling tool.
List is endless
Integration with Third party and Security
After This BI’s UI has to fixed to reflect customer requirement. There might be integration with other products and seamless integration of users By LDAP. And hence Objects level security, User level security of report data according to User roles.
Like a Manager see report with data The same data may not be visible to clerk when he sees same report. Due filtering of data by user roles using User Level security.
BI over Cloud
setting BI over cloud Read blog.
Cloud Computing relation to Business Intelligence and Datawarehousing
Cloud Computing and Unstructured Data Analysis Using
Apache Hadoop Hive
Also it compares Architecture of 2 Popular BI Tools.
Cloud Data warehouse Architecture:
Future of BI
No one can predict future but these are directions where it moving in BI.