Electronic authentication (e-authentication) is the process of establishing confidence in user identities electronically presented to an information system.
Authentication provider Market size estimated by Gartner estimate stand at 2 billion dollar growing at average 30% year on year with about 150 vendors.
Authentication technologies companies can be segmented to 3 types :
- Client-side software or hardware, such as PC middleware, smart cards and biometric capture devices (sensors)
- Software, hardware or a service, such as access management or Web fraud detection (WFD), that makes a real-time access decision and may interact with discrete user authentication software, hardware or services (for example, to provide “step up” authentication)
- Credential management software, hardware or services, such as password management tools, card management (CM) tools and public-key infrastructure (PKI) certification authority (CA) and registration authority (RA) tools (including OCSP responders)
- Software, hardware or services in other markets, such as Web access management (WAM) or VPN, that embed native support for one or many authentication method.
Specialist vendor provide SDK,while commodity vendor provide one-time password (OTP) tokens (hardware or software) and out of band (OOB) authentication methods.
Shift is happening in industry from traditional hardware tokens to phone-based authentication methods or supporting knowledge-based authentication (KBA) methods or X.509 tokens (such as smart cards). NIST defines three types of authentication methods:
There are few trends which I discussed early here I just want to point best available site giving trend information.
1. Electronic signature will grow this point is very valid also came in market reserach.
2 Companies will focus on being remarkable: This point I found wonderful: I want to qualify this point further Leadership will be most important thing for next atleast 5 yrs..Every company will look out for Steave Jobs, bill gates,jack walsh and warren buffet.
As the competition increase it cycles becoming short..the effect of vision of visionary leader is seen in company in just 5 yrs span. Earlier it was 50 yrs then became 25 yrs..now its range is 5 yrs…i will say actually 3 yrs..So this point is very important.
3. Democratization of Education: increasingly educational resources are now available to everyone and poor through youtube, thorough other sites…Future even PHD student will be working and simultaneously doing PHD work at night..or free time…may take 7 -10 yrs but these PHD will change face of world as they will be more practical and dedicated.
Gartner Hype cycle for emerging technology predicts few unknown trends..
3. Biggest trend to me in authentication mechanism will open up new padora box as Iris technology is now considered unstable:
“Their research involved taking iris codes that had been created from real eye scans as well as synthetic iris images created wholly by computers and modifying the latter until the synthetic images matched real iris images. The researchers used a genetic algorithm to achieve their results.”
it takes about 5-10 minutes to produce an iris image that matches an iris code.
It will definitely change bio metric market since iris is considered most accurate technology. Will iris technology stand up to this technology only time will tell.. still its most secure technology but its broken..it need to adjust…if it cannot then with this attack its almost use less. anyone wear lens can fool technology then to impersonate another person.