Oracle Web centre is built on top of JSF based Oracle Application Framework or OAF which was the latest improvement over OAF(Oracle Application Framework).Integrated with portlet,integrated webservices,RSS,peoplesoft,BI,Mail or calendar system,content mangement, databases, Enterprise 2.0 discussion, blogs, wikki, worklist.user can collaborate and create content only, secure enterprise search, Tag on website.
It comes with Oracle presence which provides the core services needed to deliver a presence service to IP/SIP network.
The base WebCenter Framework allows you to embed portlets, ADF Taskflows, content, and customizable components in your Oracle ADF application. All Framework pieces are integrated into the Oracle Jdeveloper IDE, providing access to these resources as you build your applications.. It incorporates Web 2.0 components such as content, collaboration, and communication services
Also there are products like Oracle web centre ..which are stated to be Oracle’s new Social Network software.OSN solves the problem by bringing together real-time communication, content sharing, integration with other business applications, activity streams and search tools..Its can also take data from SIP..
The feature of Oracle Web centre:
WebCenter services capabilities: 80/20 rule. 80% data is unstructured data.(documents,files,word,spreadsheet,image,blog,web content management,
Social Networking Services – Enables users to maximize productivity through collaboration.
- People Connection/Behavioral customization – access to pages based on behaviour. Enables users to assemble their business networks like linked-in.
- Discussions – Provides the ability to create and participate in threaded discussion. This is an embedded version of Forums provided by Jive Software.Also they have formed an agreement that will integrate SAP’s BusinessObjects BI OnDemand software with Jive’s community and collaboration platform
- Announcements – Enables users to post, personalize, and manage announcements.
- Phone call from website/email button,Instant Messaging and Presence (IMP) – Provides the ability to observe the online presence status of other authenticated users (whether online, offline, busy, or idle) and to contact them.Oracle presence which provides the core services needed to deliver a presence service to IP/SIP network.you can start phone conversation using SIP netowork just by click of button(see my other blog on SIP future of telecom for more details.)
- Blog – Enables blogging functionality within the context of an application. This feature comes from an embedded version of open source package jzWiki.
- Wiki – Self-service, community, oriented-content publishing and sharing. This is an embedded version of open source package jzWiki.
Shared Services/competing with Sharepoint server MOSS – Provides features for both social networking and personal productivity.can be integrated with Oracle have multiple products Oracle content management OCM leader in universal content management UCM,WCM Web content management rule to make look consistent ,universal Record management (forms),images pictures sent (image management),digital asset management compress pictures/movie ,Information right management (expiration time).
- Documents – Provides content management and storage capabilities, including content upload, file and folder creation and management, file check out, versioning, and so on. This functionality requires licensing of a JCR (JSR-170) compliant document repository product. Java community process started 8 yrs back with JSR 170 Content Repository for Java technology API. JCR started with everything is content then came JSR 170,283 Java content repository and standards on repository. http://jackrabbit.apache.org/ The Apache Jackrabbit™ content repository is a fully conforming implementation of the Content Repository for Java Technology API . “A content repository is a hierarchical content store with support for structured and unstructured content, full text search, versioning, transactions, observation, and more.” JCR standard content repository demo http://youtu.be/SObd28EuP-c .
- Links – Provides the ability to view, access, and associate related information; for example, you can link to a solution document from a discussion thread.
- Lists – Enables users to create, publish, and manage lists. (Available only in WebCenter Spaces)
- Page – Provides the ability to create and manage pages at run time.
- Tags – Provides the ability to assign one or more personally relevant keywords to a given page or document. This feature is similar to the del.cio.us website.
- Events -Provides group calendars, which users can use to schedule meetings, appointments, and any other type of team get-together. This feature requires deployment of a separate calendering server, which may be Oracle Beehive or Microsoft Exchange. (Available only in WebCenter Spaces)
Personal Productivity Services – Focuses on the requirements of an individual, rather than a group.
- Mail – Provides integration with IMAP and SMTP mail servers to enable users to perform simple mail functions such as viewing, reading, creating, and deleting messages, creating messages with attachments, and replying to or forwarding existing messages.
- Notes – Provides the ability to “jot down” and retain quick bits of personally relevant information. (Available only in WebCenter Spaces)
- Recent Activities – Provides a summary view of recent changes to documents, discussions, and announcements.
- RSS – Provides the ability to publish content from WebCenter Web 2.0 Services as news feeds in RSS 2.0 and Atom 1.0 formats. In addition, the RSS service enables you to publish news feeds from external sources on your application pages.
- Search – Provides the ability to search tags, services, an application, or an entire site. This makes use of a license limited version of Oracle’s search product.
- Worklist – Provides a personal, at-a-glance view of business processes that require attention. These can include a request for document review and other types of business process that come directly from enterprise applications.